How to return Christmas gifts
Christmas is over, but that sweater Aunt Jo gave you is too small or you hate the whatnots Grandma bought.
So, you want to return it?
You’ll join about 77 percent of consumers who are expected to return some of their gifts, according to a survey by online retail platform Oracle.
In factor, holiday returns are expected to peak at 1.9 million on Jan. 2, which is a 26 percent increase from 2018.
It’s important for consumers to remember that not all stores have the same return policy.
Locally, here are the return policies for the chain stores:
- Walmart: Items that were purchased from Oct. 24 to Dec. 25 with a 14-day return window may be returned until Jan. 10. Items with a 30-day return window may be returned until Jan. 25.
- JCPenney: Items are eligible for return with or without a receipt. If you return an item with a purchase receipt, you may exchange the item or get a full refund for the purchase price. The refund will be issued to the original form of payment. When returning items with a gift receipt, they may be exchanged or refunded in the amount of the purchase price on the gift receipt. The refund will be credited to a gift card. With no receipt, items purchased at JCPenney are eligible for exchange or refund at the item’s lowest selling price within the last 45 days issued in the form of a merchandise return voucher. Some rules apply.
- Dirt Cheap: All sales are final.
- Cato – With original receipt (your packing slip/invoice), Cato will honor a refund in the original form of payment within 60 days of purchase. If a Cato gift card was used, a new gift card will be issued. Items must be unworn and have price tickets attached. Washed or worn merchandise cannot be returned or exchanged unless defective. If you do not have your original receipt, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-758-CATO (2286).
- Factory Connection: A proof of purchase is required for all exchanges or refunds within 30 days. Half price and clearance merchandise sales are FINAL.